Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1) by Beth Revis

Across the Universe - Beth Revis

I loved this book. While the cover is awesome, it’s more romantic than the contents. This is primarily a sci fi book with a little bit of romance thrown in.

The chapters alternate between Amy’s point of view and Elder’s point of view. Amy’s first few chapters really got my heart pounding and sucked me into the story. It took me a little longer to get interested in Elder’s story, but only a little.

A lot of people have shelved this as a “mystery” novel, and for good reason. I wouldn't say there are any extremely surprising plot twists, but there is definitely a mystery and it's complex enough that I don’t think most people could figure everything out ahead of time. I had a big part of it right, but I hadn't figured out all the little details that made it work.

Guess what? This is a YA book with no love triangle! There is some romance, but it’s pretty minor in this first book. I’m predicting the next book in the series is going to get more into that part of the story.

My only complaint was the description of all the “activities” that took place during the season. I thought some of it was unnecessary. That’s just a personal preference, though. Hint: “The season” is the time when people on board the ship mate with one another. Like animals.

Lastly, the book’s ending did a perfect job of making me wonder what Elder will do next.